The City of Port St. Lucie honored as a 2017 Best Place to Work
The City of Port St. Lucie was recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work” in St. Lucie County – the tenth year the City has earned this prestigious honor.
Port St. Lucie Human Resources Director Jerome Post accepted the award on behalf of the City at Wednesday’s 16th Annual St. Lucie County “Best Places to Work” Awards.
“I thank not only the City staff for the continued good work they do, but I also thank the City Council, the City Manager, and his administration who provide the ability for us to create a work environment that merits this recognition,” said Post.
The St. Lucie County Human Resource Association commissioned Personnel Dynamics Consulting of Fort Pierce to calculate turnover rates, growth percentages, employee development spending, promotion percentages, insurance packages and retirement plans; a total of 37 different measurements to determine the St. Lucie County’s Best Places to Work.
This program is free to all St. Lucie County employers. Participating companies were required to answer a 40-question survey about their organization. The City of Port St. Lucie was one of 13 employers in St. Lucie County who were honored with this award this year.
The St. Lucie County Human Resource Association cited these reasons the City, with 1,044 employees, is considered one of the county’s Best Places to Work:
- 10.2% Turnover Rate (Survey Average: 16.5%).
- 10.1% of the employees were promoted in 2016.
- Averaged $1,174 per employee spent on Training and Development (Survey Average: $1,411).
- 41 Paid Days Off after one year of employment.
- The City Manager meets with a different department each month to inform the staff of current issues and answer questions of general interest.
- There are two televised bi-annual retreats (Summer & Winter) held by City Council and Department Heads in which the employees can attend or watch live via City website to stay informed.
- Every October the City hosts its annual Health Fair for City employees and volunteers to attend informational booths on health care services, enter raffles to win prizes and receive a free flu shot.
- City staff participate in a number of charitable events each year to benefit organizations such as the American Cancer Society, The Children’s Home Society, and The Boys and Girls Club.
The City of Port St. Lucie is proud to be a hometown where people live, learn, work and play, and celebrate all of life’s opportunities. With over 185,000 residents, Port St. Lucie is Florida’s eighth largest city by population (South Florida’s 3rd largest city). The City occupies an area of 120 square miles in St. Lucie County on Florida’s east coast, about 50 miles north of West Palm Beach, half way between Miami and Orlando. The City provides most traditional municipal services City of Port St. Lucie | 121 SW Port St. Lucie Boulevard | Port St. Lucie, FL 34984 | cityofpsl.com including law enforcement, water and sewer, and public works.