City Hall Call to Artists
Port St. Lucie seeks to select an artist with artwork that is either already fabricated or can be fabricated for the purpose of enhancing the aesthetics of City Hall. With the mission, vision and goals of the City’s Strategic Plan as a guide, the artist’s work should engage visitors, create a sense of community, and be appropriate for all ages. All work submitted must be freestanding.
While artistic quality is very important, works will be reviewed for durability, safety and appropriateness to the site. Artworks must be structurally sound and able to withstand an outdoor environment in a largely unsupervised area that is not protected from weather or curious viewers. Port St. Lucie has a subtropical climate that is hot and humid, with intense sun and seasonal heavy rains and hurricane-force winds. Avoiding potential problems such as deteriorating rust and fading should be considered.
Budget & Terms
- The selected artist will receive a total of $10,000 for the term of the art loan. The amount includes costs for transportation, installation, and dismantling. A payment of $9,000 will be made to the artist upon installation and $1,000 will be paid upon removal.
- The City of Port St. Lucie will provide a plaque which will include the title of the piece, artist’s name, and contact information. The City of Port St. Lucie may consider purchasing the sculpture for their permanent collection at the end of the contracted term. A new contract for purchase will then be presented to the artist.
- The City of Port St. Lucie reserves the right to withdraw this RFP at any time.
- Images of finished works and conceptual drawings can be submitted. If the proposed project is not a finished work, artists need to provide information to assure the Selection Panel that it will meet all of the necessary criteria and that it will be completed and installed as agreed.
- The City of Port St. Lucie will provide the foundation to support the artwork.
- Artist or artist’s teams selected should note that their work will be considered on loan to the City of Port St. Lucie and will remain on loan to the City of Port St. Lucie for the term of the contract.
Exhibited artwork, while under the City’s care, custody, and control, will be insured for perils of fire, windstorm, theft or vandalism. The artwork will be insured from the time the artwork is installed and fully-set-up for display, to the time the artwork ceases for display. The City does not insure the artwork during installation, removal, nor transportation. Should the artist desire insurance coverage for said artwork during installation, removal, and transport , or for any other reason not mentioned in this Agreement, the artist, as their sole expense, may procure and maintain insurance coverage for such.
The artwork will be leased and displayed for a period of 24 months.
There is a 6-foot minimum height preference and 18-foot maximum height preference. Other sizes will be considered based on how proposed art piece fits with the space.
Proposal Deadline: January 9, 2019
Responses will be received until 2 p.m. on January 9, 2019.
- Open to all professional visual artists or collaborative artist teams.
- The RFP should include:
- Identification of the artist’s name or artist’s team name
- Telephone #
- Email address
- Contact person
- Statement of Qualifications - Description of artist/artist team’s experience with completing other public art projects.
- Description of available artwork or artwork that will be fabricated for this space which meets the RFP criteria.
- Artist must provide an itemization of materials used, dimensions, and market value.
- Professional resume of principal artist and/or key members of artist’s team.
- Minimum of three professional references, including names, addresses and phone numbers.
- Any brochures, examples of previous work, etc.
- Artist must sign a W-9 form