Port St. Lucie landed at No. 72 on this year's list of Best Small Cities. The rankings recognize top-performing cities with metro populations between 100,000 and 500,000.
06/25/2020 3:32 PM
The data science and research team at Insurify, a homeowners insurance quotes comparison site, studied data from City-Data.com to determine the communities in each state with the highest percentage of residents living in homes that they own.
06/17/2020 11:40 AM
The City will become a more beautiful place with the growth of Port St. Lucie’s Art in Public Places program thanks to a $50,000 grant that was approved by the National Endowment for the Arts.
06/10/2020 12:59 PM
The City of Port St. Lucie’s Building Department is continually working to make more services contactless and accessible 24/7 online. The department now has 37 permits types available at anytime, anywhere -- that’s an increase of 85 percent in two months.
06/08/2020 4:55 PM
The City of Port St. Lucie’s Neighborhood Services Department is pleased to announce that after a comprehensive evaluation, the American Association of Code Enforcement has awarded the City’s Code Division with a 4-star accreditation.
06/02/2020 3:47 PM
To determine the best places for a fun-filled yet wallet-friendly staycation, WalletHub compared more than 180 cities across 15 key metrics.
06/01/2020 11:20 AM
To identify the best places to retire, U.S. News analyzed data for the 125 largest metropolitan areas in the USA to assess how well they meet Americans' retirement needs and expectations. Top criteria include the happiness of local residents, housing affordability, tax rates and healthcare quality.
05/29/2020 2:07 PM
To find the cities where seniors are staying in the workforce more, we looked at the increase in senior labor force participation rate during both the five-year period from 2014 through 2018 and the one-year period between 2017 and 2018.
05/21/2020 4:18 PM
GOBankingRates analyzed the 300 largest cities in the U.S. and narrowed the list to 150 cities with a large population of adults ages 65 and older. These cities were then ranked based on various factors.
05/21/2020 4:07 PM
The Florida League of Cities recently recognized Port St. Lucie City Councilwoman Jolien Caraballo with a 2020 Home Rule Hero Award.
04/13/2020 4:32 PM
To identify the safest cities of 2020, SafeWise reviewed 2018 FBI crime report statistics (the most recent complete report available at the time of ranking) and population data.
04/09/2020 11:24 AM
WalletHub compared the quality of government services received by residents to the total state and local taxes they pay to determine which states yield the best and worst return on investment (ROI) for taxpayers.
03/30/2020 9:06 AM
WalletHub drew upon the various findings of positive-psychology research in order to determine which among more than 180 of the largest U.S. cities is home to the happiest people in America.
03/16/2020 5:10 PM
To figure this out, we looked at data from the U.S. News Best Places to Live in the U.S. rankings, including affordability, quality of life, and job market.
03/05/2020 11:03 AM
These retirement spots have mild winter temperatures as well as many amenities retirees need, according to a U.S. News analysis of 125 metropolitan areas that included data about housing affordability, happiness, desirability, retiree taxes, the job market and access to quality health care.
03/02/2020 10:17 AM
Port St. Lucie takes the top spot on our list. Located on the Atlantic side, it offers desirable traits like a relatively low cost of living, vibrant culture, high safety and a robust job market.
02/27/2020 12:10 PM
The Granicus 2019 Digital Government Awards honor transformational digital achievements improving government efficiency, effectiveness, engagement, and service delivery.
02/20/2020 10:50 AM
LendEDU evaluated U.S. Census Bureau data for nearly 1,000 places to see which ones have experienced the most business openings as of late.
02/20/2020 10:26 AM
To identify the safest cities, Alarms.com reviewed the most recent FBI Uniform Crime Report statistics and eliminated cities that failed to submit a complete crime report to the FBI and cities with populations under 10,000.
02/14/2020 2:24 PM
Mymove.com used data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report to calculate a score for each U.S. city based on rates of violent crime (ie. murder, aggravated assault, etc.) and property crime (ie. burglary, grand theft auto, etc.).
02/06/2020 9:32 AM
Awards & Recognition by Department
- 2019 Building Officials Association of Florida:
- Building Official of the Year Awarded to Joel Dramis
- Plans Examiner of the Year Awarded to Louis Hatten
- 2018 Building Officials Association of Florida:
- Inspector of the Year Awarded to Condane Rolle
- 2017 Recognized in Best Practices Manual for Noteworthy Practices
- 2016 Building Department Accreditation
- 2020 Telly Awards
- Bronze: Researchers Use Thrips to Fight Brazilian Peppers at McCarty Ranch
- 2020 Communicator Awards
- Award of Excellence: Crosstown Grand Opening
- 2020 FPRA Image Awards
- Image Award: Crosstown Grand Opening in the Special Events Category
- Judge's Award: Crosstown Grand Opening in the Special Events Category
- Grand All Image Award: Crosstown Grand Opening in the Special Events Category
- Award of Distinction: 2020 Growing Together Annual Report
- 2020 AVA Digital Awards
- Gold: PSL's Retail & Restaurant Report Summary
- Gold: 1PSL - Your 24/7 City Hall
- Honorable Mention: PSL Parks & Recreation Overview Video
- Honorable Mention: Hurricane Dorian
- Platinum: A Year in Review: Presentation to the SLC Chamber of Commerce
- 2020 ADDY Amer. Adv. Awards
- Gold: Annual Report - Annual Report (print of digital) Category
- Gold: Annual Report - Printed Annual Report Category
- Silver: Leisure Time - Magazine Design Category
- Silver: Water Quality Booklet - Book Design Category
- Silver: Utilities 25 Anniversary Shirt- Specialty Advertising Apparel Category
- Silver: PSLPD Speeding Prevention PSA - Local TV Commercial :30 seconds Category
- Silver: PSL Parks & Recreation Overview - Internet Commercial Categoy
- Silver: 1PSL App Video - Animation, Special Effects or Motion Category
- Silver: Citizen Summit - Corporate Social Responsibility Marketing Category
- Judge's Choice: Professional Corporate Social Responsibility
- 2020 Granicus Digital Government Award: Modern Website
- 2020 Silver Zedman Award - Local/Community: Crosstown Grand Opening Video
- 2019 City-County Communications & Marketing Association (3CMA)
- Silver Circle Award - Community Visioning or Branding #IamPSL Citizen Summit
- Award of Excellence - Communication Marketing Plans (Half-Cent Sales Tax: Better Roads, More Sidewalks, Cleaner Rivers)
- 2019 AVA Digital Award
- GOLD - Eastern Watershed Improvement Project - Video Long Form (Environmental Issue)
- GOLD - The Agenda - Video Production | TV Broadcast (Government Access)
- PLATINUM - A Year in Review Presentation to the Chamber | Video Long Form (Powerpoint)
- GOLD - Sales Tax Website | Web-Based Production | Website | (Informational)
- GOLD - New Category | Digital Annual Report (Annual Report)
- 2019 The Palm Awards
- Crisis Communications | Southern Grove
- Annual Report | A Year in Review
- Amendment #14 Sales Tax with County
- 2019 ADDY Awards
- Silver | Annual Report
- Gold - Campaign | Citizens Summit
- Silver - Single Webisode | What We Do
- Silver - Series | The Agenda
- Silver - Video | Fall Fun Fest Promo
- Silver - Sales Tax
- 2019 FPRA
- Judges Award - Sales Tax - Public Relations Programs (Public Affairs)
- Image Award - Sales Tax - Public Relations Program (Public Affairs)
- Judges Award - Southern Grove - Public Relations Programs (Reputation Management)
- Judges Award - Annual Report - Printed Tools of Public Relations (Annual Report)
- 2019 Communicator
- Excellence - Digital > Branded Content > Campaign > Content Promotion | Citizen Summit
- Distinction - Digital > Branded Content > Campaign > Public Service & Activism | Sales Tax
- Distinction - Video > Film/Video/TV>Film/Video> Government Relations |The Agenda
- Distinction - Design & Print > Digital Corporate Communications Categories | Annual Report
- 2019 Telly Awards
- Bronze - Social Video: Public Service & Activism (EWIP)
- 2018 Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), Sunshine District
- Award of Commendation; Hurricane Irma, Utilizing Social Media to Communicate in a Crisis
- Award of Commendation; City Website
- 2018 Communicator Awards by the Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts
- Campaign - Social Media for Marketing Effectiveness; Social Media Crisis Communications Campaign for Hurricane Irma
- Annual Report - General Government for Corporate Communications; A Year in Review: The City Manager's Annual Report
- Employee Publication -Magazine for Corporate Communications; City Manager's Bi-Weekly Report
- Content & Marketing - Promotions & Contests for Social: "Where is Waldo in PSL?"
- Campaign -Promotional for Integrated Campaign-The NICE Program Integrated Marketing Campaign
- Features - Visual Appeal-Aesthetic for Websites; The City News Center
- Website - General Government for Websites; The New Government Website
- 2018 Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA) Treasure Coast Chapter Image Awards
- Judge’s Award: The Year in Review: The City Manager’s Annual Report
- City of PSL’s PIO named: Government Communicator of the Year
- 2018 AVA Digital Awards by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals
- Integrated Digital Marketing Campaign: Platinum – Neighborhood Improvement and Community Engagement (NICE)
- Digital Publication: Platinum – City Manager’s Bi-Weekly Report
- Online/Digital Tools: Gold – Crisis Communication, Hurricane Irma
- City’s Newly Redesigned Website: Honorable Mention
- 2018 Hermes Awards by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals
- Print Media: Gold – A Year in Review: The City Manager’s Annual Report
- Government Website: Honorable Mention
- Crisis Communication Plan – Platinum – Hurricane Irma
- Integrated Marketing Campaign – Gold – The NICE Program
- 2018 National Association of Counties NACo, NACIO
- Websites: Meritorious – “NICE Marketing Campaign”
- Photography: Excellence – “City Photography” – Woodstork Trail
- Graphics Brochures/Publications: Superior – “Budget-in-Brief”
- External Publications: Meritorious – “Bi-Weekly Report”
- Annual Reports: Superior – “A Year in Review: The City Manager’s Annual Report”
- 2018 Davey Awards by the Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts
- Silver Winner: The City of Port St. Lucie’s Government Website
- Silver Winner: The City of Port St. Lucie’s Social Media Features, Overall Social Media Presence
- 2018 APEX Awards for Publication Excellence
- Grand Award for Campaign Program, Plan: The City of Port St. Lucie’s NICE Program, Marketing Campaign
- Award of Excellence for Print Media, Special Purpose: The City of Port St. Lucie’s Strategic Plan, Quarterly Progress Report
- 2018 Videographer Awards
- Distinction Winner: The Agenda Television Production
- Honorable Mention: Port St. Lucie’s Future Starts With You, Event Promotion Video for the Citizen Summit
- 2017 Route Fifty Navigator Awards: Finalist for City University
- 2017 Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) - Sunshine District Radiance Awards: Award of Commendation for Hurricane Matthew Emergency Operations
- 2017 Hermes Creative Awards: Honorable Mention in the Special Event Category for Forum on Race Relations & Inclusion (FRRI)
- 2017 Hermes Creative Awards: Gold Winner in Crisis Communication for Hurricane Matthew Emergency Operations
- 2017 Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA): Judges' Award for the Crosstown Parkway Extension Project Video News Release
- 2017 City Livability's Community Engagement Award: Forum on Race Relations & Inclusion
- 2016 Gold Coast Public Relations Council Bernays Award: Best Crisis Communications for Hurricane Matthew Emergency Operations
- 2020 ERP Tyler Excellence Award: Munis
- G.F.O.A. (Government Finance Officers Association) “Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting”
- The City of Port St. Lucie Finance Department received the “Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting” for the 2017 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) from the GFOA. The City has received this prestigious award for 26 consecutive years.
Office of Management & Budget Division
- G.F.O.A. (Government Finance Officers Association) “Distinguished Budget Presentation Award”
- The City of Port St. Lucie Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has received the “Distinguished Budget Presentation Award” by the GFOA. The City has earned this annual award for 29 consecutive years.
- 2019 National Association of Purchasing Card Professional (NAPCP) Featured Member
- Ms. Rodgers, Procurement Card Administrator, is recognized by the NAPCP for her work operating a successful procurement card program for the City.
- Florida Association of Public Purchasing Officers Award for Excellence in Public Procurement (2004-2018)
- Florida Association of Public Purchasing Officers Best Practices in Public Procurement Award (2008 and Honorable Mention, 2009, 2010 and 2013)
- Florida Association of Public Purchasing Officers Outstanding Purchasing Award (2000)
- National Institute of Government Purchasing Outstanding Agency Accreditation Achievement Award, OA4 (2003–2021)
- National Purchasing Institute Achievement of Excellence in Procurement Award (2003-2016)
- Universal Public Procurement Certification Award—Sterling (2010–2017)
- National Institute of Government Purchasing Innovations in Public Procurement Award (2010)
- Florida Department of Health: Healthy Weight Community Champion
- The City's Human Resources Department was recognized by the Florida Department of Health as a Healthy Weight Community Champion (2016 & 2017).
- Florida Tobacco Cessation Alliance: Gold Level Award
- In April 2017, the Florida Tobacco Cessation Alliance presented a Gold Level Award to the City for its commitment and dedication to employees’ health and wellness.
- Best Places to Work St. Lucie County (2003-2009, 2015-2019)
- 2020 American Association of Code Enforcement: 4-star Accreditation
- 2018 Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) Best Neighborhood Program Award
- 1st Place for Physical Revitalization/Beautification
- 2017 Route Fifty Navigator Awards Finalist for City University
- 2019 National Recreation & Parks Association (NRPA) Best in Innovation Award for Rock Steady Boxing Program.
- 2019 National Recreation & Parks Association (NRPA) Parks & Recreation Success Stories – Healthy Aging in Parks photo contest for the Rock Steady Boxing Program – Knocking Down the Barriers of Parkinson’s
- 2019 Florida Recreation & Parks Association (FRPA) Facility Showcase for Woodland Trails Neighborhood Park
- 2019 National Recreation & Parks Association (NRPA) Innovation in Health Award for Rock Steady Boxing Program
- 2015 TC Palm Reader’s Choice Award – Best Dog Park – Lyngate Dog Park
- 2014 TC Palm Reader’s Choice Award – Best Dog Park – Lyngate Dog Park
- 2014 Macaroni Kid Port St. Lucie Gold Daisy Award – Family-Friendly Festival or Event – 2014 Freedomfest
- 2014 Macaroni Kid Port St. Lucie Gold Daisy Award – Place for Outdoor Fun – Port St. Lucie Civic Center Fountain
- 2014 Hometown News Reader’s Choice Award – Best Public Golf Course-Saints at Port St. Lucie Golf Course
- 2013 Florida Recreation & Park Association (FRPA) Media Excellence Award (renamed Public Relations in 2014) – Electronic – Other – P & R E-newsletter
- 2013 Hometown News Reader’s Choice Award – Best Public Golf Course-Saints at Port St. Lucie Golf Course
- 2013 Hometown News Reader’s Choice Award – Best Public Golf Course-Saints at Port St. Lucie Golf Course
- 2012 Hometown News Reader’s Choice Award – Best Public Golf Course-Saints at Port St. Lucie Golf Course
- 2012 Florida Recreation & Park Association (FRPA) Port St. Lucie Parks & Recreation Volunteer Program
- 2003 Florida Recreation & Park Association (FRPA) Agency Excellence Award
- 2017 Police Department Volunteer Program
- The Port St. Lucie Police Department’s Volunteer Program was honored by the International Association of Chiefs of Police on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 in Pennsylvania, as being a leader in the Law Enforcement Community for our exceptional Volunteer Program. The IACP/BodyWorn Leadership in Law Enforcement Volunteer Programs Award recognizes volunteer programs that demonstrate innovative, effective practices for augmenting sworn or civilian staff and/or improving service delivery to their communities. The goal of the award is to recognize the value that volunteers provide to state and local law enforcement and to institutionalize the theories and practices of the national Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS) Program.
- C.F.A. (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies)
- In 1997, the agency was awarded state accredited status through C.F.A. Since then the department has been re-accredited an additional 6 times with the most recent award being received in 2016 for “Excelsior” status (meaning highest level of achievement in Florida Accreditation a Criminal Justice Agency can receive).
- C.A.L.E.A. (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc.)
- In 1991, the Port St. Lucie Police Department was the 193rd law enforcement agency in the United States, and the first in St. Lucie County, to become nationally accredited through C.A.L.E.A. The agency has successfully been awarded re-accreditation 7 times with the most recent award being received in 2016 for “Advanced Meritorious Accreditation” (accredited for 16 consecutive years).
- 2019 Water Environment Federation (WEF) - National Municipal Stormwater and Green Infrastructure Award
- The Public Works Department's NPDES Phase II Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) is awarded by WEF and categorized as a 'Silver Level in Innovation' and 'Gold Level in Project Management'.
- 2015-2018 A.P.W.A. (American Public Works Association)
- The Public Works Department was awarded the fourth re-accreditation by the American Public Works Association (APWA) in April, 2018. Four of the Department’s model practices were selected to be shared with others APWA members across the county. In 2001, the Public Works Department was the first agency in the state and the 7th in the nation to be accredited by APWA.
- 2019 FPRA Judges' Award Public Relations Program
- In April 2019, Utility Marketing Coordinator Jenny Tomes was recognized by the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA) for implementing the annual “Drop Savers” Water Conservation Poster Contest in St. Lucie County Schools.
- 2019 FPRA Communicator of the Year
- In April 2019, Utility Marketing Coordinator Jenny Tomes was recognized by the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA) for her outstanding government public relations.
- 2019 Service Member Patriot Award
- In January 2019, Water Distribution & Preventative Maintenance Superintendent Rob Noon and Supervisor George Cirruto received the Service Member Patriot Award by the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), a division of the Department of Defense. The Patriot Award reflects the efforts made to support citizen warriors through a wide range of measures including flexible schedules, time off prior to and after deployment, caring for families, and granting leaves of absence if needed.
- 2018 FPRA Member of the Year
- In August 2018, Utility Marketing Coordinator Jenny Tomes was recognized by the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA) for her commitment to the FPRA Treasure Coast Chapter and performance as the Media Conference Director.
- 2018 FPRA Judges' Award Digital Tools:Ring Saved from Sewer
- In April 2018, Utility Marketing Coordinator Jenny Tomes was recognized by the Florida Public Relations Association for producing a video news release about a World War II veteran who accidentally flushed a very special ring down the toilet.
- 2017 Rising Leader Award
- In September 2017, Utility Marketing Coordinator Jenny Tomes was recognized by the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA) for her performance as the Media Conference Director for the FPRA Treasure Coast Chapter.
- 2017 Water Fluoridation Quality Award
- In June 2017, the City of Port. St. Lucie Utility Systems Departments Prineville and James E. Anderson Water Treatment Facility recognized for their "consistent and professional adjustment of the fluoride content to the optimum level for oral health for 12 consistent months".
- 2016 FWPCOA Theodore Kamien Award
- In August 2016, Cross-Connection Supervisor Glen Cockrell was named the Florida Water and Pollution Control Operators Association (FWPCOA) recipient of the 2016 Theodore Kamien Award at the Annual State Short School awards luncheon for his outstanding dedication to backflow and cross-connection control.
- 2015 F.S.A.W.W.A. (Florida Section Region VIII of the American Water Works Association) “Runner-up best tasting water”
- In March, 2015, the City of Port St. Lucie Utility Systems Departments’ James E. Anderson Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Plant was named “Runner-up best tasting water” by the FSAWWA.
- 2014 S.E.D.A. (Southeast Desalting Association) “2014 Outstanding Membrane Plant"
- In June, 2014, the City of Port St. Lucie Utility Systems Departments James E. Anderson Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Plant was named the “2014 Outstanding Membrane Plant” by SEDA, an affiliate of the American Desalting Association.
- 2014 National Association of Governmental Communicators “Award of Excellence”
- In July, 2014, the City of Port St. Lucie Utility Systems and Communications Departments jointly accepted an “Award of Excellence” from the National Association of Governmental Communicators for an educational video produced about the potential damage caused to sewer utility systems by flushing “flushable wipes”
- 2013 F.S.A.W.W.A. (Florida Section Region VIII of the American Water Works Association) “Best tasting water”
- In February, 2013, the City of Port St. Lucie Utility Systems Departments Prineville Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Plant was named “Best tasting water” by the FSAWWA.
- 2007 Water Fluoridation Quality Award