City of Port St. Lucie Building Department 2018 Accomplishments
- Increased Management Site-Visits by 20%
- 39,943 Permits issued
- Express Permits for Single-family Residence, a.k.a. Master Permits
- Created Building Department Promo Video
- Completed permit lobby and training room remodel
- Participated in public education for the Career Tech Academy
- Developed Inspection Route Optimization Program
- Developed Business University
- Provided support to Fairfax County and City of Pompano Beach Building Department
- Online permitting expanded to include Pool Heater, Shutter and Screen Enclosure Permits
- Participated in the city-wide "Litter Campaign"
- Issued Permits to City Electric and VA Nursing Home
- Reduced Online Permit fee for Screen Enclosures
- Added Drop-box for after hours submittals
- Updated Permit Timeline Service Goals
- Created time limitation for Single-family Residence Permits
- Received State approval for a (1) year Building Inspector Internship Program
- Presented at the BOAF Emerging Technologies Conference
- Added GPS to all City vehicles
- Added Roofing Contractors to monthly Stakeholder Meetings
- Updated Safety Gear for all employees
- Initiated Building Department Pre-Build Meetings
- Developed Project "FUSION"
- Developed orientation meetings for NEW contractors
- Completed Internal Procedure Manual
2018 Building Department Activities
Single Family Permits Issued
Certificates of Occupancy Issued (SFR)
Number of Inspections Completed
Number of Plans Reviewed
Number of Permits Applied for Online
Engineer/Architect Letter of Compliance
The Building Department would like to remind you that Engineer/Architect Letters of Compliance can NOT be accepted in lieu of a missed inspection unless first requested by the Building Official. If a request has been received by the Building Official, you may contact the Inspections Division at email@example.com or 772-871-5040 to receive a copy of the Engineer/Architect Letter of Compliance Form. Please note, the original form must be submitted to the Inspections Division of the Building Department.
The Chief Building Official will review your request and will verify if the work is in compliance with the applicable Florida Building Code. If approved, a review fee may apply, as follows: $50 Residential or $100 for Commercial Projects.
Please note: The Building Department’s Permit Applications and Forms are updated periodically. In order to ensure that you are using the most recent version of a required document, we ask that you NOT maintain printed copies of applications or forms. To view the most recent version of a permit application, visit, https://www.cityofpsl.com/government/departments/building/permit-applications-checklists. To obtain a copy of the most recent Engineer/Architect Letter of Compliance, you must contact the Inspections Division.
Online Permit Training
Interested in applying and obtaining permits online? Please contact Tommie Fowler, Electronic Permit Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org for training or information on how you can begin using the E-Permitting Portal.
Note: Online permits are available to licensed contractors only, per Florida Statute 489.103(7)(c)
Homeowners must personally appear and sign the building permit application in person and satisfy all permitting requirements.
Reminder! Construction hours in the City of Port St. Lucie are from 7:00 a.m. - sundown, 7 days a week, including holidays.
Be a Good Neighbor
- Keep work sites clean and free of trash
- Use water or electricity only with permission
- Keep radio and noise low (within permissible limits per City Code Section 94.04)
- Buffer equipment away from neighbors
- Keep roadway free of dirt and debris
- Drive slowly through neighborhoods and do not block driveways
In an effort to provide the highest level of Customer Service, the Building Department began initiating monthly stakeholder meetings with different contractor groups. The goal of these meetings are to:
- Solicit input on how to improve our permitting, plan review and inspection processing.
- Offer assistance to the contractors to improve our level of customer service
Some of the positive outcomes of these meetings are:
- Combining miscellaneous work under one permit
- Reduction in permit fees
- Increasing the number of Online Permits
- Red Tag Elimination Program
- Most Common Code Violation notifications to contractors
- A/C Inspection time slots
- Inspection Routing Program with contractor email notifications
We encourage project managers, foremen, superintendents and assistants to attend these meetings.
All meetings are FREE and FREE material will be provided to everyone. To view when our next stakeholder meeting will be held, click HERE.
If you would like to attend our next Stakeholder Meeting, RSVP with Yvette at email@example.com
Inspection request can be made 24 hours a day. Request scheduled before midnight will be conducted the following business day. Please note, inspection request can NOT be made over the phone. To request inspection, you must use (1) of the following options:
Log in to your profile, select the active permit that you would like to schedule inspection for. (This option will allow contractors to submit a request for inspection without the permit number or 3 digit pin number.)
Click the schedule inspection button, enter your permit number and 3 digit pin number. Select the inspection you would like to schedule and click submit request. (The permit number and 3 digit pin number can be located on your receipt and permit application.)These options are available at, www.cityofpsl.com/building
Generators for Assisted Living Facilities and Nursing Homes
On September 16, 2017, Governor Rick Scott issued an emergency action requiring Assisted Living Facilities and Nursing Homes to have backup generators. There are very specific compliance requirements and deadlines.
We ask that you please view:
- Emergency rule from the Agency for Health Care Administration (Nursing Homes).
- Emergency rule form the Department of Elder Affairs (Assisted Living Facilities).
Hire Licensed Contractors!
Notice to contractors of new single-family construction and additions to single-family dwellings:
Per the Florida Building Code all permits applied for after June 30, 2017 will be subject to New Blower Door Certification Requirements prior to the issuance of the certificate of occupancy. All affidavits are required to be submitted to the inspections division for review. Affidavits can be emailed to Inspections@cityofpsl.com. Please allow 48 hours for review of this document. Document approvals will be posted in PANDA.