About the Contest
Hang the wreath, untangle those lights, pull out the inflatables and start decorating! Back by popular demand, the City of Port St. Lucie’s fourth-annual PSLinLights Holiday Lights Contest starts December 2, 2019. The City is looking for homeowners, tenants, or lessees who have the spirit of Christmas and a little bit of Griswold in them to participate in the City's Holiday Light Contest. This outdoor holiday lights and yard decorating contest is a festive way to demonstrate your community pride and light up the holiday season.
You Can Win!
Do you or your neighbor light up the block with holiday cheer each year? Then, you could be the next winner of the #PSLinLights Holiday Lights Contest. Besides pride, the first place PSLinLights Holiday Lights Contest winners will receive a yard sign commemorating their triumph. New for 2019 there are three categories for prizes:
- New Kid on the Block (first-time residential entries only)
- PSL Showstopper (best overall PSL residential light display)
- Light up the Neighborhood (This is awarded to the City’s most festive NICE neighborhood. At least six homes from a NICE neighborhood must enter in order be eligible for this neighborhood prize). Find your NICE neighborhood.
Participation is free. All participants should be willing to share your address and family name.
Applications will be accepted through January 5, 2020. Judging will begin on January 6, 2020, and end on January 9, 2020. Winners will be announced publicly on the City of Port St. Lucie’s website and social media accounts, Facebook and Twitter, on January 10, 2020. The winners will also be acknowledged at a future City Council Meeting.
When you register your home in the contest, the City adds the display information into a searchable database creating a must-see holiday light display list with pictures and a map. The holiday light map can be used by the entire community to create their very own holiday light tour of the City.
Be the Next Stop!
As of 9:15 a.m. on December 5, 2019, the Bus Tours are filled to capacity and tickets are no longer available. Thank you!
In addition to the holiday lights and decorations contest, your home can be included on our non-competitive, City-wide Christmas Lights Bus Tour. If you would like to have your home listed on the Tour, please fill out the entry form and check the box stating that you would like to be included as part of the Tour. Signing up to have a home on the tour does not guarantee it will be placed on the tour.
Entries can be submitted through January 5, 2020.
All entries must include:
- Is this your first time submitting your home for PSLinLights?
- Your full name as you would like it to appear on the online map, e.g., “Bob and Carol Smith.”
- Your address
- Time when your lights are turned on (e.g. 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.)
- Phone (for internal use only, not visible online)
- E-mail (for internal use only, not visible online)
- Would you like your house to be considered on the bus tour route? (opting out of the bus tour will not void your contest submission)
- Upload a photo(s) (up to 3, Max size 5mb)
- How many lights/decorations do you have included in your display?
- Is your display synchronized to music?
- How many hours did it take you to decorate your house?
- Is your home in a gated community?
- Provide a brief description of the décor/theme and tell us what inspired you to decorate your home.
- I acknowledge that I have read, understand and agree to the official rules/ disclaimer of the contest. I understand that my name and address may be used as part of the City’s advertisement for this event and in future use.
If you have any issues with this form or uploading your photos, please email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 772-871-5219. In your e-mail, you must include the answers to all 14 questions, including the pictures.
As of 9:15 a.m. on December 5, 2019, the Bus Tours are filled to capacity and tickets are no longer available.
Ring in the season aboard a special 45-minute free Holiday Lights Bus Tour of decorated homes in PSL on December 19, 2019. The #PSLinLights holiday bus tour will travel around a designated route highlighting the contestants who entered in the PSLinLights Holiday Lights Contest.
Starting December 5 at 9 a.m., tickets are available first-come, first-serve and this tour fills up quickly, so reserve your spot. To ensure as many light enthusiasts can attend, there is a six ticket limit, maximum. These free tickets for the Holiday Lights Bus Tour are available:
- Get tickets online
- Civic Center Box Office, located at 9221 SE Civic Center Place, Port St. Lucie, FL 34952 is open Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- By phone at 1-800-514-3849
This year’s PSLinLights’s holiday bus tour was made possible by the City's Neighborhood Improvement and Community Engagement (NICE) Program. Participants will also learn how they can get involved in the NICE program and about the new NICE-sponsored Light Up the Neighborhood Contest.
The evening begins at 6 p.m. at the front plaza of Community Center’s Winter Wonderland Light Show at 2195 SE Airoso Boulevard, Port St. Lucie, FL 34984. Over 40,000 lights, synchronized to holiday music, will be on display. Santa will take a short break from his reindeer to be available for photos, hugs, and wishes. It will be a jolly, old time for your family and friends as you commemorate the event with a picture at the Elfie Selfie station.
Steaming mugs of complimentary homemade hot cocoa and warm cookies await you as you listen to a few sets by the Saint Lucie West Centennial High School Jazz Band. Allapattah Flats K-8 Choir will make up for our lack of snow and put everyone in the holiday spirit with their joyful serenades. Don’t miss out on the virtual reality experience where kids of all ages can immerse themselves in the holiday spirit with 2018’s PSLinLights Holiday Lights contest winner.
The brightly decorated neighborhood streets of Port St. Lucie are sure to get you in the spirit of the season – so please join us for some festive fun! Put your home on the PSLinLights map, and let the City know if you would like your house to potentially be featured on the tour.
Voting will be conducted anonymously through an online survey on the City’s website during Judging Week (January 6 starting at 8 a.m. through January 9, 2020, at 5 p.m.). One vote per household. Winners will be announced on January 10, 2020, through the City of Port St. Lucie’s website and social media accounts.
There are three categories to compete in! Homes submitted for the “New Kid on the Block” and “PSL Showstopper” prize category will be judged by an online survey during Judging Week, January 6, 2020, through January 9, 2020. The number of votes will determine the winners. First-place winners will receive a decorative yard sign. Second place winners will receive an honorable mention certificate.
The “Light Up the Neighborhood” winner will be determined by City staff. When 6 or more households within a NICE (Neighborhood Improvement and Community Engagement) neighborhood enter in the PSLinLights Holiday Contest, a neighborhood is automatically qualified. Each participating household from the winning neighborhood receives a winner’s certificate presented at a future City Council Meeting. A trophy with the winning neighborhood name will be displayed at City Hall. Winners will be announced on January 10, 2020, on the City of Port St. Lucie’s website and social media sites. Photos of the winning entries will be published online, and each household will have the option to display a small “Winners” sign on their private property.
There is no fee for entry into the Contest. The Contest shall be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering, all participants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions herein.
- Those who want to participate must have their home decorated by January 5, 2020.
- Entries must be residents within the municipal boundary of the City of Port St. Lucie. To verify whether or not you live in the City limits, check the St. Lucie County Property Appraiser’s website.
- A household cannot enter another household; each household must enter the contest themselves.
- Only decorations visible from the roadway will be considered.
- Entries must be submitted by January 5, 2020, by 5 p.m.
- For Judging Week, all lights must be on from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. from January 6, 2020, through January 9, 2020.
- “New Kid on the Block” and “PSL Showstopper” placings, which will be determined by the website voting, will be final. Only one vote per unique IP address allowed.
- First place PSLinLights Holiday Lights Contest residential winners (New Kid on the Block and Showstopper) will receive a decorative yard sign. Second place winners will receive an honorable mention certificate.
- The “Light Up the Neighborhood” entrants will be judged by City employees. To qualify, at least 6 households from one of the 33 Port St. Lucie neighborhoods (named through the NICE Program) must enter the PSLinLights Holiday Contest. A neighborhood will automatically qualify when six entries from that neighborhood have been received. Only one entry per household, (a “household” is an individually addressed residence). The prize will be awarded to the entire neighborhood comprised of the households who formally entered the contest.
- Any decorations that are vulgar or promote violence in any way will be disqualified.
- First place winners are limited to two consecutive years, beginning in 2019.
Entrants assume any and all liability for any injuries, harm or damages caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the contest and/or the acceptance and/or use of any prize and hereby release the City of Port St. Lucie, its agents, employees, officers, and officials from any and all such liability, loss, harm or damage. The City, it’s agents, employees, officers, and officials, are not responsible for: loss, damage or harm of any kind, including but limited to; the failure of any entry to be received due to computer failures of any kind, traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, telecommunications, network, electronic, telephone or mobile service outages, delays, busy signals, or any equipment malfunctions or other technical difficulties that may prevent the city from receiving any entry submission; entries that are stolen, misdirected, garbled, delayed by computer transmissions, lost, late or damaged; any injury or damage to the entrant's or any other computer, tablet, or electronic device related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest; nor is the City, its agents, employees, officials, officers responsible or liable for errors, any inaccurate transcription of entry information, errors in any promotional or marketing materials or errors in these Official Rules.
The City of Port St. Lucie in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any entrant found tampering with the entry process or the operation of the City’s website. Failure to comply with the Official Rules of the contest may result in an entrant’s disqualification and/or forfeiture of any prize or prizes.
The City’s liability in all instances shall be limited to the monetary limits set forth in s. 768.28, Florida Statutes. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed a waiver of the City’s sovereign immunity whether by contract or by law.
The entrant must be 18 years of age or older at the time of entry and reside in the City of Port St. Lucie and is void wherever prohibited or restricted by applicable federal or state laws and regulations. Winners will be announced on January 10, 2020, on the City’s website and the City of Port St. Lucie’s social media accounts. Winner’s names and addresses will also be made available on the City’s website and social media accounts.