Injuries and difficulties can occur when people don’t exercise good judgment during the height of the storm. Here are some tips on what to do when the storm is raging outside:
- Stay indoors. An interior room or a room without windows is usually safest.
- If the center (eye) passes over your area, remain indoors unless emergency repairs are absolutely necessary. If the electricity goes off, use flashlights instead of candles or kerosene lamps, and be careful with cooking flames.
- Continue to listen to the radio and/or the television for announcements from the National Hurricane Center and local officials.
- Have a battery operated radio and/or a television available in the event of power outages. WPSL 1590 AM and WQCS 88.9 FM broadcast situational bulletins and weather updates for the City of Port St. Lucie.
- If flood waters threaten your home, turn off electricity at the main breaker.
- If you lose power, turn off major appliances, such as the air conditioner or water heater, to reduce the possibility of damage when power is restored.
- Do not use electrical appliances, including your computer.