Solid Waste Program Functions
The City of Port St. Lucie has a franchise agreement with Waste Pro of FL, Inc. to haul all household garbage, recyclables, yard clippings and bulk items for customers in the city. The franchise agreement is managed by the city's Neighborhood Services Department. Waste Pro services are also available for commercial properties.
Waste Pro Customer Service
Waste Pro has an office in Port St. Lucie. Residents can call, text, e-mail or visit with their Waste Pro representative at City Hall in the Neighborhood Services Department. Contact Waste Pro directly regarding garbage, yard waste, and recycling:
- Submit Concern Online
- Call Waste Pro at 772-873-6317
- Text Waste Pro at 772-202-5150
- Email WastePro@CityofPSL.com
City Customer Service
Residents can report concerns relating to city services or conditions using the 1PSL system. Make requests for concerns such as litter, water leaks, vandalism and more can be reported in a few simple steps.
- Place containers at the curbside by 7 a.m. on regular collection days
- Garbage must be in a tied bag or covered can
- Do not mix garbage and yard waste—they must be in separate containers
- Cans should be no larger than 32 gallons and weigh no more than 50 pounds
- No auto parts, boat parts, or empty gasoline cans (learn about hazardous waste)
- Learn how to be FOG (fats, oils, grease) free:
- Do not pour grease down the sink, garbage disposal, or into toilets.
- Do scrape grease and food scraps from cooking surfaces into the trash for disposal. Wipe excess FOG (fats, oils, grease) from pans and dishes with a paper towel and throw it away. Cool hot grease in a can and throw it away. Put baskets in sink drains to catch food scraps and other solids.
Yard waste in all areas will be collected on scheduled pick-up days. Composting of yard waste is welcome, but not required. Follow these guidelines when preparing yard waste for collection:
- Place yard waste in several small piles if possible for manual pickup.
- Don’t mix garbage and yard waste
- Loose yard waste, i.e., grass clippings, leaves and small twigs must be containerized
- Neatly stack limbs, branches, palm fronds, etc. at the curb
- Limbs not to exceed four feet, except palm fronds. No piece to exceed 50 pounds.
- Separate stumps from other yard waste. No single piece of a tree should exceed 50 pounds
- Box it or bag it—individual containers cannot weigh more than 50 pounds
- Stack yard waste in neat, manageable piles
- Yard Waste piles that require the clam truck will be picked up within 72 hours after your scheduled yard waste service day.
Yard waste that cannot be manually picked up manually requires a larger truck for pickup. Contact Waste Pro at 772-595-9390 to schedule a special pickup if you have a large pile of yard waste. Please place yard waste along the street in front of the home and avoid placing debris in a vacant lot.
Residents can search for their trash, recycling and/or yard waste days using on the online Refuse Collection Schedules map. Enter either the property owner’s last name or the street name where the property is located as search criteria. When searching by street name, simply type the name of the street without any other additional information, (e.g., Thornhill for S.W. Thornhill Drive).
The table below shows the correlation between trash and recycling collection days.
|Recycling Day is||Trash Pick Up Days are|
|Monday||Monday & Thursday|
|Tuesday||Tuesday & Friday|
|Wednesday||Wednesday & Saturday|
|Thursday||Monday & Thursday|
|Friday||Tuesday & Friday|
|Saturday||Wednesday & Saturday|
Waste Pro services will be provided on all holidays except for Independence Day (July 4), Thanksgiving and Christmas. Garbage, yard waste and recycling collection will resume according to the regular schedule after the holiday.
Independence Day (July 4th)
If your Waste Pro collection day is Saturday, July 4, 2020, here is the collection schedule:
- Garbage will be collected on Wednesday, July 8, 2020
- Recycling will be collected on Saturday, July 11, 2020
- Yard Waste will be collected on Saturday, July 11, 2020
If your Waste Pro collection day is Thursday, November 26, 2020, here is the collection schedule:
- Garbage will be collected on Monday, November 30, 2020
- Recycling will be collected on Thursday, January 3, 2021
- Yard Waste will be collected on Thursday, January 3, 2021
If your Waste Pro collection day is Friday, December 25, 2020, here is the collection schedule:
- Garbage will be collected on Tuesday, December 29, 2020
- Recycling will be collected on Friday, January 1, 2021
- Yard Waste will be collected on Friday, January 1, 2021
Waste Pro provides a recycling container for each residential account. All recyclable material can be placed together in the container. For recycling questions please call Waste Pro at 772-595-9390.
Garbage cans are not provided by Waste Pro. They must be no larger than 32-gallon capacity and weigh less than 50 pounds each when filled.
Trash removal services are paid for directly by property owners on the annual property tax bills that are sent out in November. Each bill clearly indicates the amount due for the Waste Pro services, which are accounted for separately from city property taxes. This method of collection is less expensive than making payments directly to Waste Pro.
The Waste Pro rate is $281.92 per year for residential properties.
Residential properties cannot opt out of payment for the service, regardless of whether the home is occupied or not, or if trash is put out or not. Seasonal residents who stay in Port St. Lucie for temporary periods are responsible for the annual solid waste assessment.
For more details on services and costs, contact Waste Pro directly at 772-595-9390, or visit Waste Pro’s website. Waste Pro’s office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturdays.