An intro to Accreditation
The Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA) accreditation is a quality assurance improvement process demonstrating an agency’s commitment to its employees, volunteers, patrons and community. The 151 CAPRA standards for national accreditation provide an authoritative assessment tool for park and recreation agencies. Through compliance with the standards of excellence, CAPRA accreditation assures policy makers, department staff, the general public and tax payers that an accredited park and recreation agency has been independently evaluated against established benchmarks as delivering a high level of quality.
- Internal self-assessment process
- Documentation of actual practices
- Verbal policy upgraded to written policy
- Establish new procedures
- New plans created and/or updated
- Manuals produced
- Advances the profession
- Enhances agency efficiency
- Improves quality service
- Official Intent Rollout to Parks & Recreation Staff on October 24, 2018
- Tentative Application Date: Early Fall 2019 – An Agency Self-Assessment Report must be completed within 2 years of application
- Target Completion Date: July 2021
Three Major Initiatives
The City of Port St. Lucie Parks & Recreation Department is pursuing the following three initiatives:
- CAPRA Accreditation
- Parks & Recreation Department Strategic Business Plan
- 10-Year Parks & Recreation Master Plan
One objective of Goal #5 of the Department’s Strategic Business Plan, “Investing in Our People,” is that the department will seek CAPRA Accreditation. As we move forward to creating a 10-Year Master Plan, having this Master Plan and a comprehensive Strategic Business Plan are imperative if we are to comply with the Standards that are set forth for CAPRA Accreditation.
The City of Port St. Lucie Parks & Recreation Department is committed to strengthening our community by offering exceptional leisure, cultural and innovative recreational opportunities. We value service, diversity, respect, innovation and engagement.
Stay tuned for updates on how your Parks & Recreation Department will meet our goals of accreditation, strategic business planning and 10-year Master Planning.