Why Do I Need to License My Pet in the City of Port St. Lucie?
Being a pet owner requires all sorts of responsibility. One that is often overlooked is licensing your pet(s) with your local government.
Failing to license your pet(s) can hinder your chances of getting them back if picked up by Animal Control; it can also lead to fines and other fees.
If the above isn't reason enough for you to license your pet(s), here are a few more reasons why you should:
- It's the law. In most cities in Florida, it's mandatory that pet owners have their pets licensed. If you get caught without a license, which can and does happen, you can be hit with a fine. Pets must have a renewed license each year, unless you’ve registered your pet with a Lifetime License (see licensing requirement tab). The City license tag must be displayed on them at all times.
- If your pet goes missing, having them licensed drastically improves your chances of getting them back. A license helps Animal Control and shelters quickly identify your pet and get him back to you safely. If your pet is found wandering the streets, Animal Control can easily look up your pet’s license and obtain your contact information.
- The cost of the license is far less than the penalty for being caught without one. If Animal Control finds your pet(s) without a license, you can end up paying a fee of $55.00.
The City of Port St. Lucie requires all dogs and cats over 6 months of age to be vaccinated against rabies and be licensed with the City.
Pet Licensing Requirements
All dogs and cats over 6 months old must be licensed within 30 days of acquiring the animal and/or within 30 days of establishing residency within the City of Port St. Lucie.
Licenses can be obtained by mail, participating veterinarians or by visiting our office located at:
- 1133 SW South Macedo Blvd Port St. Lucie, FL 34983
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm
The licensing requirements are the same if you apply in person at our office or my mail.
We DO NOT have a form to fill out prior to obtaining your pet's license.
You will need to bring with you or send by mail, a copy of your pet's current rabies vaccination and microchip number if applying for a Lifetime license. Please be aware that you can only apply for a Lifetime license if your pet is altered (spayed or neuter) and microchipped. If your pet's current rabies vaccination does not state that the pet is altered, please provide additional proof that the surgery was performed.
If you apply for a Tag License, you will have the option to purchase a (1) year to (3) year tag depending on the expiration date of the rabies vaccine. Please keep in mind that you can only purchase a tag for the remaining years your pet has left on the rabies vaccine. Tag licenses will be issued at the time of licensing. This tag must be worn by the animal at all times.
If you apply for a Lifetime License, it's a one time fee and good for the life of your pet. With the Lifetime license option, no metal tag will be furnished and the RFID tag identification number (microchip number) will become the pet’s permanent lifetime license.
Correspondences done by mail can should be sent to:
- Port St. Lucie Police Department Animal Control Division
1133 SW South Macedo Blvd.
Port St. Lucie, FL 34983
Please only send checks or money orders via mail, and make them payable to City of Port St. Lucie.
We accept cash, check, money orders and credit cards at our Office.
|Lifetime License (altered & microchipped)||$5.00 (one-time fee) this is the only fee you need to pay.|
|Spayed/Neutered Pet (Proof required)||$5.00 (1 year *tag license)
$10.00 (2 year *tag license)
$15.00 (3 year *tag license)
|Unaltered/Intact Pet||$15.00 (1 year *tag license)
$30.00 (2 year *tag license)
$45.00 (3 year *tag license)
|Health Exemption (Letter required from Veterinarian on a yearly basis)||$5.00 (1 year tag license altered)
$15.00 (1 year tag license not altered)
|Service Dog||$1.00 (one-time fee for tag license)|
Licenses can only be obtained through these veterinarians by clients
|Animal Hospital of West Port St. Lucie
||2662 SW Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Animal Medical Center
||8267 South US Hwy 1
|Dr. Kelly’s Animal Hospital||150 NW Central Park Plaza||(772) 336-8111
|Humane Society of St. Lucie County
||8890 Glades Cut-Off Rd
|Kindness Animal Hospital||761 SE Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Morningside Animal Hospital||1626 SE Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Prima Vista Animal Hospital
||250 SW Prima Vista Blvd
|Sandpiper Animal Hospital
||1833 SE Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Animal Health Center
||1861 SW Gatlin Blvd