Why do I need to license my pet in the City of Port St. Lucie?
- It's the law; the City requires all dogs and cats over six months of age to be vaccinated against rabies and be licensed within 30 days of acquiring the animal and/or within 30 days of establishing residency within the City. Pets must have a renewed license each year, unless pets are registered with a Lifetime License. The license tag must be displayed on pets at all times.
- A licensed pet improves the chances of returning pets to owners.
- Unlicensed pets can lead to fines and fees. The cost of a pet license is far less than the penalty for being caught without one – a $55 fee.
Pet owners can obtain a pet license by online application, mail, or in person by either participating veterinarians or by Animal Control's office:
- Lobby hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Address: 1133 SW South Macedo Blvd Port St. Lucie, FL 34983
- Phone number: 772-871-5042
- Fax number: 772-871-5237
The Animal Control office accepts cash, check, money orders and credit cards. Make checks or money orders payable to City of Port St. Lucie.
Pet owners are required to present the following information:
- a copy of your pets current rabies vaccination
- microchip number (only if applying for a Lifetime license).
Please be aware that pet owners can only apply for a Lifetime license if pets are altered (spayed or neutered) and microchipped.
Pet owners have the option to purchase a 1 year to 3 year tag license depending on the expiration date of the rabies vaccine. Pet owners can only purchase a tag license for the remaining years the pet has left on the rabies vaccine. Tag licenses will be issued at the time of pet licensing. This tag must be worn by the animal at all times.
Lifetime licenses are a one time fee and good for the life of the pet. Pet owners can only apply for a lifetime license if pets are altered (spayed or neutered) and microchipped. If the pets current rabies vaccination does not state that the pet is altered, please provide additional proof that the surgery was performed. Tags are optional with a lifetime license and the RFID (radio-frequency identification) number, or microchip number, will become the pet’s permanent lifetime license. All tags are printed with a QR code so anyone can find owner information.
|Lifetime License (altered & microchipped)||$5.00 (one-time fee)
This is the only fee to pay.
|Spayed/Neutered Pet (Proof required)||$5.00 (1 year *tag license)
$10.00 (2 year *tag license)
$15.00 (3 year *tag license)
|Unaltered/Intact Pet||$15.00 (1 year *tag license)
$30.00 (2 year *tag license)
$45.00 (3 year *tag license)
|Health Exemption (Letter required from Veterinarian on a yearly basis)||$5.00 (1 year tag license altered)
$15.00 (1 year tag license not altered)
|Service Dog||$1.00 (one-time fee for tag license)|
Licenses can only be obtained through these veterinarians by clients.
|Animal Hospital of West Port St. Lucie
||2662 SW Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Animal Medical Center
||8267 South US Hwy 1||772-878-2222|
|Dr. Kelly’s Animal Hospital||150 NW Central Park Plaza||772-336-8111
|Humane Society of St. Lucie County
||8890 Glades Cut-Off Rd
|Kindness Animal Hospital||761 SE Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Morningside Animal Hospital||1626 SE Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Prima Vista Animal Hospital
||250 SW Prima Vista Blvd
|Sandpiper Animal Hospital
||1833 SE Port St. Lucie Blvd
|Animal Health Center
||1861 SW Gatlin Blvd
|Guardian Veterinary Medical Center
||415 NW California Blvd||772-631-3119|