The Adopt-a-Street program reduces the number of streets that rely on city resources for maintenance. When businesses and individuals assume the responsibility of maintaining specific streets within the city, not only do they free up city resources, but they help create colorful and creative green spaces throughout our city.
We have a total of 917 Center line, linear miles of roadway in the city. Currently, more than 154 miles of city streets are litter-free thanks to over 150 groups and individuals who have adopted these public roadways—about one mile per group. With more than 200,000 people in the City, it would be easy for the remaining 757 miles of city-maintained roads to become just as litter-free. Removing litter before it reaches the city storm system also reduces the amount of storm water runoff pollution, thus keeping our wetlands, lakes and rivers cleaner.
How It Works
All that is really needed to adopt a street is some of your time and the willingness to collect litter on an adopted street a minimum of twelve times a year (more if you want). Everything else is provided free of charge: litter tongs, trash bags, safety shirts, training, and the pickup and disposal of collected trash. All you have to do is to pick up the litter.
Who Can Adopt a Street?
- Businesses: Set the example and either individually or collectively adopt the street in front of your business.
- Churches: Encourage your congregation and youth group to adopt the street that runs in front of your church.
- Civic and Other Community Organizations: Publicize the good works of your organization by adopting a mile of street.
- Homeowner Associations: Adopt the street(s) around the perimeter of your communities.
- Homeowners: Take care of the community like you take care of your property; adopt the street in front of your home. (Enlist your neighbors to join you by forming a neighborhood group.)
- Joggers and Walkers: Incorporate some bending and stooping exercises in your routine, and adopt the streets where you run.
- Schools: Sponsor a student group to keep your school grounds and surrounding roads litter-free.
In addition to helping Port St. Lucie become litter-free, your group will be recognized with a sign that provides your group's name posted in both directions of your adopted street.
To sign up for the Adopt-a-Street program, email Keep Port St. Lucie Beautiful or call 772-871-5103.
- Adopt-a-Street Questions and Answers
- Adopt-A-Street Flyer
- Adopt-a-Street Application (printable version)
Resources for Our Volunteers
Here are some things you'll need in connection with your clean-up efforts:
- KPSLB Safety Video (Please watch before conducting your first cleanup)
- Volunteer Sign-In Sheet (printable version)
- Litter Removal Form