Improvements to the Floresta Drive corridor are a priority for the City Council, and at the 2017 Summer Retreat, Council directed staff to model the corridor from a traffic standpoint for both a 2-lane and 4-lane roadway section. The new modeling was performed, and it included the new Crosstown Parkway Extension Project connection to U.S. Highway 1 at Village Green Drive, for the projected traffic volumes in the year 2037. The results/ recommendations were presented to City Council on Oct. 30, 2017 for consideration. The City Council unanimously passed the motion for the approval of the 2-Lane Conceptual Improvement Roadway Plan for Floresta Drive.
Public Information Workshops were conducted in January and March of 2018 and were well attended. The Master Plans were revised pursuant to the public comment and input received. The final decision on the Floresta Drive Corridor Master Plan layout and amenities is a policy decision of City Council, and at the meeting of May 14, 2018, City Council unanimously approved the final version presented.
Goals of the Corridor
- Accommodate projected traffic volumes while minimizing impacts to adjacent properties and neighborhoods
- Provide improvements to the corridor that facilitate safe and efficient flow of traffic and minimize points of conflict
- Preserve the residential nature of the corridor
- Strengthen a sense of neighborhood along the corridor through implementation of a Complete Street Concept
- Enhance pedestrian and bicycle movements and strengthen their connections to the school
- Introduce landscaping and lighting schemes that are in harmony with the community
- Meet Goal 5 of the City of Port St Lucie Strategic plan, “High Quality Infrastructure and Facilities”
Project Funding and Schedule
Thanks to the voters of St. Lucie County and the City of Port St. Lucie, the one-half cent sales tax voter referendum was approved on November 6, 2018. Please visit www.cityofpsl.com/salestax for information on the new tax and the projects it supports. One of the projects included by the City Council on the list of priority projects to be funded by the new sales tax is the design and construction of the Floresta Drive Corridor from Southbend to Prima Vista Boulevard. A total of $25 million is dedicated towards the three phases of the project in the 10-year term of the tax.
The schedule for each phase of the project is currently estimated as follows:
|Phase||Where||Design Complete||Construction Complete|
|Phase 1||Southbend Blvd. to Elkcam Waterway||April 2020||August 2021|
|Phase 2||Elkcam Waterway to Crosstown Parkway||October 2020||
|PHase 3||Crosstown Parkway to Prima Vista Blvd||April 2021||November 2023|
Project Updates & Resources
- View Floresta Corridor Master Plan PowerPoint Presentation to City Council May 14, 2018
- View Summary of Comments from Public Information Meetings held January 24, 2018
- View Floresta Corridor Master Plan PowerPoint Presentation to City Council Oct. 30, 2017
|SegmentS 1a & 1b|
|SegmentS 2a & 2b|
|SegmentS 3a & 3b|