Per Florida Statute 489.103(7)(b), all homeowner builder permits must be applied for in person. Homeowners MUST personally appear and sign the building permit application and satisfy local agency requirements. In addition, owners acting as their own contractor when building or improving must prove the occupancy is for their use only and not offered for sale or lease.
Florida Building Code 105.3.2 - Time limitation of application
An application for a permit for any proposed work shall be deemed to have been abandoned 180 days after the date of filing, unless such application has been pursued in good faith or a permit has been issued; except that the building official is authorized to grant one or more extensions of time for additional periods not exceeding 90 days each. The extension shall be required in writing and a justifiable cause demonstrated. To request a permit extension:
- Submit application prior to expiration of your permit, a $25 fee will be applied.
If your permit expires and becomes null and void you have the option to do one of the following:
- Apply for a Demolition Permit to remove all construction in connection with your expired permit from the building site.
- Resubmit documents for a new permit which comply with all codes, amendments, ordinances and regulations in effect from the time the permit expired until a new permit was issued and pay all appropriate fees.
If you are registered with the city and a licensed contractor you can register and apply for the below residential permit types online. Please contact Contractor Licensing at ContractorLicensing@cityofpsl.com or (772) 871-5132 for information on how you can begin the online permitting registration process. Online permits are for residential permits only, unless denoted below:
- A/C Change-Outs (Residential and Commercial)
- Aluminum Pan Roofs
- Aluminum Screen Enclosure
- Concrete Slabs
- Electrical (various residential permits)
- Garage Doors
- Grinder Pumps
- Pool Screen Enclosure (replacement or new on existing pools)
- Pool Heaters
- Re-Roofs: (metal, roof over, shingles, tile)
- Single-family Residence
- Water Heater Change-Outs (Residential and Commercial)
Please note: Online permitting is only for licensed/registered Contractors only.